View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM
SweetBearCub
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I really hate 6.5's interface...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrop03 View Post
I sort of understand where you're coming from. I'm not a big fan of Titanium (which is what you were looking at) either. I use TF3D / SPB MS3.

You get use to the Start Menu...again I prefer 6.1

If you really need the traditional 6.1 Home Screen then go for it. I only like 6.5 for its finger scrollability
Does SPB MS3 have a free trial available? I've never used it, and am not willing to put down cash without testing it first. I've heard good things about it though.

It's not that I don't like eye candy - It's that the interface literally reminded me of fisher-price, the children's toy maker. Even though I did not buy my phone to do corporate type stuff, I still like the business-like interface. I like seeing as much data on my today screen as I can stand. In fact, I view the today screen as one of those WM innovations that everyone else has tried to copy. It's nice to press one button and have all your commonly updated things right there. Twitter, IM, email, weather, news, google search bar, appointments, tasks, etc.

None of the items on the today screen needs to be particularly large - I look at it as an overview. If more info is desired, say if the twitter feed of a friend has something interesting, you click on it and it takes you to the expanded version. If the weather indicates rain, click on it and see how high the rain chance is, when it's likely to rain, and for how long, etc.

As far as finger scrollability - While this is nice for some things - Photo viewing, some web pages, and maybe a precious few others - I view it as a pure gimmick. I do not want to use my fingers on a 2.8 inch screen. To do so would require the info on the screen to be more spread out, since fingers are not nearly as precise as a stylus, with a resulting big penalty in the amount of information displayed. Whereas one today screen intended for use with a stylus might have 9 apps worth of data, with some room to spare, a finger-friendly version would have maybe 1/3 of the info, requiring me to scroll to the next couple of pages just to see all of it. If I wanted to use my fingers as a pointer, I would have bought an iPhone.

In addition to not wanting to use my fingers as a pointer, I bought a WM device because it is flexible in the extreme. It has the ability to run any app you can code, with no artificial walls to stop you. This means that for me, it comes as close to a laptop replacement as a phone ever will. Maybe people here didn't buy their phones as a laptop replacement, but I certainly did.

My apologies for getting off topic..