View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
dboogie2288
PPCGeeks Regular

dboogie2288 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to dboogie2288 Send a message via Yahoo to dboogie2288 Send a message via Skype™ to dboogie2288
Re: Google Voice!?!?!?!?

What exactly do you want to know? Google voice was an acquistion of GrandCentral.com, of which I believe was a superior service to what Google is offering now. It does however offer several benefits, a few of which are outlined in that video.

The main item is that your number is permanent, and the service is currently free. Not sure what the future holds though. With that number, you can include a variety of numbers to ring when someone calls. If you are someone who moves a lot due to work, or perhaps you jump ship on your cellular carrier, you still have the same number. All you would have to do is point your google voice number to point to your new cell phone.

Along with that, google transcribes your voicemails. So, if you have a lot of incoming voicemails, and you have a smartphone, guess what, you never have to listen to them. The google system makes a digital transcription and fires them to your email.

Grandcentral was the originator of this, and google just bought them, but the calls are transmitted via voip, and you CAN have it transfer to a provider called GIZMO, which is SIP. So, while I dont have a home phone at home, I can receive calls there, because google voice rings my SIP phone (Which is just a hacked Dlink vonage adapter which rings to a regular old phone), and my cell when someone calls. It's ultimately portable. It's a good service, I've transferred all my credit card accounts and personal accounts to my google voice number as primary, and I can block them out whenever they get the need to hassle me about my payment.

If you have the invite, go use it. It's a good service, and you lose nothing.