View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 AM
RicoRich196
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

RicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Snapdragon, Tegra, OMAP 3 can they help?

Okay here's a prime example of what I'm talking about. And another thing, I'm here asking a question, I was wondering if what people were saying had any truth. Here on WMpoweruser.com is this article: http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=6023#comments

And I'm reading some of the comments and here's what people are saying

Quote:
Jason8 Reply:
July 24th, 2009 at 2:46 am

Snapdragon is the same typical Qualcomm bullcrap. Go look at a video of the Toshiba TG01 in action… just as sluggish and unresponsive as my HTC touch Pro.

Tegra is different because there’s a high-powered and dedicated GPU that processes all the graphics (read: everything that would seem sluggish on Windows Mobile) without clogging up the CPU like Qualcomm’s chips do. You don’t /need/ 1 GHz with Tegra because the CPU just has to do that much less processing and is more efficient with the GPU.

And to comment on the story… It’s about damn time those idiots get busted for anything. They deserve every cent of that fine.
Then he gets this response:

Quote:
Wishmaster Reply:
July 24th, 2009 at 6:13 am

To Jason8:
Unfortunately it won’t make a difference for WM cause the OS itself relies only on CPU not GPU so in this case snapdragon is better choice than tegra.

It may change with WM7 that will use openGL ES as its main API for graphic. But for now what we need is raw CPU power to make OS speedy.
Quote:
rad Reply:
July 24th, 2009 at 6:37 am

@Jason8: Tegra is far from a wonder-chip. It’s just a plain old ARM11 (same as the MSM72xx line) at 600 MHz. Snapdragon at 1 GHz is 3-4x faster in CPU performance. Tegra’s GPU is faster than Snapdragon’s, but that won’t help WM system performance at all, as the WM UI is not GPU-composited, and the GPU would only be of use in 3D applications, of which few decent ones exist for WM anyway– mobile 3D devs target high-end graphics for more powerful, much more lucrative platforms like the iPhone 3GS (e.g. compare even cross-platform 3D game titles on WM vs. iPhone).
And lastly Nustrike who is quite known on Xda so he probably has some information behind his answers

Quote:
NuShrike Says:
July 24th, 2009 at 6:04 am

As much as HTC/Qualcomm has contributed to the crumbling decay of Windows Mobile, Microsoft is also to blame for continuing the sluggish advance of its OS.

In the space of 5 (2005) years, it has only released 2 revisions of its OS none of which supported advancing hardware: fpu/gpu,video drivers, htc class action.
You know me? I can spot a Swan from a Duck
My approach? Smoother than an Armani tux