View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 07:37 PM
RicoRich196
Regular 'Geeker

RicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Snapdragon, Tegra, OMAP 3 can they help?

Okay I've been reading all this talk about WM phone manufacturers looking into using Snapdragon, Tegra and OMAP 3 processors in future phones but my question is can they really help?

The reason I pose this question is because I've done some in depth reading (albeit not enough as I'm still confused and have come here to ask) about these processors and their capabilities and it all seems great (graphics processing, extremely low power usage, extremely efficient at computing, high definition video without a hiccup) but can it really do much for windows mobile at the moment?

I've read a few postings by people on different forums over the weeks and they talk about how Windows Mobile needs to be completely rewritten to even take advantage of the capabilities of these processors. They spoke about WM not being able to take advantage of hardware graphics acceleration and have support for extremely old (WM 2003SE old) "core libraries" that just cannot take advantage of the multiple cores/threads on these newer processors.

Now I know WM7 will, but WM 6.5 won't and it makes me worried. The new TG01 by Toshiba will have a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor and guess what people who have played with the device say it's extremely sluggish and unresponsive. (engadget had an article)

My idea in my mind is that HTC with their Sense UI coming to WM and TF3D iterations, will have their custom GUIs take advantage of hardware graphics acceleration and all that but it's like damn talk about trying to go around the real issue, I mean WM7 won't be coming til probably late 2010 and that's just wack.
You know me? I can spot a Swan from a Duck
My approach? Smoother than an Armani tux