View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 PM
buck95
PPCGeeks Regular

buck95 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
the $360 free upgrade, must have web plan

Iv'e had a window moble phone for years vx6700 now a xv6800 all i pay is 9.99 a month for basic service. Have wifi at work and home and mostly anywere i need it. Dont really use it a lot on this phone. Looked at upgrading my phone and my dauthers phone with a new smart phone 2 yr upgrade.
never had cell internet or wanted it on my phones, but to upgrade verizon is telling me i have to choose a $30 a month additonal web plan. Three times the price i play for the phone.$360 year more for something i dont want or will use. Guess i will keep my old phone forever. they did say i could buy a 6800 for $99 and would not have to take the web plan. Anyone else have a workaround for this?guess if the phone is newer you are stuck paying for internet

Found this:
Starting November 14th, 2008, all new PDA / Smartphones will require a $29.99/month or greater data plan. Gone are the pay as you go data plans, 1X data block plans and the 10 MB $24.99/month plans. The good news is that those who are currently signed up for any of the now canceled plans will not be forced to change. If you have a data block, you can keep your data block and continue to use Wi-Fi instead of EV-DO for you data connection. The bad news is that once you swap out your phone for any reason, you will be forced to upgrade to a $29.99 or higher monthly plan. The leaked document also notes that a similar plan will go into effect in 2009 for select Mobile Web 2.0 phones. Since the document mentions HTML web browsing capability as the criteria for a mandatory data plan, we assume this will affect phones such as the LG Dare, the LG Voyager and the new Krave ZN4. With this change, you will be forced to subscribe to the $15/month VCast plan that provides unlimited data for email and web browsing.

Last edited by buck95; 07-18-2009 at 07:00 AM.