View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
tkthatruth
PPCGeeks Regular

tkthatruth is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Please help sort out GPS without data plan, pretty please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyCecilia View Post
Hi, newbie here. I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks trying to figure out my 3-week old Sprint Touch Pro. I've installed a few of the custom apps/tweaks (but haven't gone so far as to do a rom yet, as I haven't found a need to), some with and some without success...the ones that were without success have made me hesitant to install more stuff without first asking...so...

What I'm really crazy to do is to get the GPS working without a data plan. My main goal here, at a minimum, is to at least be able to map a route via the wifi in my home and have the map available to me (ie. offline) in the car, but googlemaps hasn't really cooperated much, it always defaults back to the beginning of the route even when I set the map to view just the part I need (usually the end). Since it goes back to the beginning, it then wants to use a data connection when I get to the complicated part, which I don't have/can't do. First question: is there any way to save just the maps I need for the trip without needing a data connect?

Ideally I would be able to install map software and just use the gps without the data plan, which sounds like it's doable (depending on which site you read). I have an old Garmin Mobile 20 lying around doing nothing: it was purchased for my Treo 700wx, but never really worked properly with the treo. (I ended up having to reinstall everything from scratch, miserable experience.) So my second question is: is it possible to install the Garmin 20 software onto the TP and have it use the GPS? Having had problems with the software before, I'm hesitant to do this....

If neither #1 nor #2 are possible, is there some not-too-expensive software that will allow me to use the gps without a data plan? Which would be a good bang-for-the-buck software?

As a last resort, is there a custom ROM that would make the gps work? I've been considering this anyway, as the battery life, even after reg tweaks, is still abysmal, but would prefer not to.

TIA, and my apologies if some of this sounds redundant, I've been reading and reading this site and haven't really figured out the *definitive* answers to these questions, just lots of sort of answers and contradictions.

Cecilia
If you have access to internet, google maps your location and desired destination and go by that, or if you want voice directions, get TomTom Navigator 7 that uses your internal GPS and connects to TomTom GPS satellites. It'll cost you money but its cheaper than a data plan in the end.

This post has been thanked 1 times.