Old 07-10-2009, 07:13 PM
XGuard04
Lurker
Threadstarter

XGuard04 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Mogul Issue: Boots Up with Black Screen

Haha...I know, I was just kidding. For those of you who will be searching through this thread in months/years to come when your mogul does the same, I have determined the cause below:

ROOT CAUSE:

I figured out what happened to the phone and why this issue is occurring. Since I already ordered a Touch Pro I decided to take part my mogul since it isn't working anyway. I looked inside and saw that the flex that runs from the base of the phone (the half with the QWERTY keypad) to the other half with the display was torn. (This is the orange flexible piece with lines on it.)

I believe that what happened was a year or so ago I remember dropping my phone, this caused the bottom half (with the dpad) of the top half (with the display) to become slightly shifted off alignment when the phone was closed. This must have caused shear stress on the flex whenever I opened and closed the phone to access the QWERTY keypad. (This would also explain my lose of functionality of the Dpad!) First the tear started on one side where the Dpad traces ran, then it eventually got larger and started ripping the display traces.

Overall conclusion: The orange flex ripped after repeated opening and closings of the phone.

I worked for Motorola designing phones for a bit and got pretty good at identifying hardware failures!
This post has been thanked 1 times.