View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
fuznuts
N00b

fuznuts is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Deployed in Afghan w/ Diamond Touch

Hey there fellas. I was wondering if any of you gurus could toss me a little of the hard earned knowledge base each of you have formed...Well i'll get to it I guess

I am deployed to Bagram in Afghanistan currently and have my HTC Diamond Touch. I was hoping to use it in some way to call home, but cannot connect to the wifi networks around here, despite the fact that I have a 100k connection *which i pay 100 bucks a month for :/ *. The reason for this is that the service I pay for is attached to the Mac Address of my laptop, not to mention the gentlemen at the wifi station tell me they don't support wifi on phones anyway. I wont get into too much detail unless one of you require me to do so, however, as I do not want to waste too much of your valuable time.

So I guess the question I have is, Would there be any way about which any of you are aware that I could use my cell phone on base? I was thinking that MagicJack may be a possibility but, once again, I am not sure if my Diamond would work with it...
Skype would have been an option if I could utilize the wifi connection on my phone.
I could purchase a sim card from the afghans but there are two problems with that:
1. It seems that Sprint's version of the Touch Diamond has the sim card covered up under the back jacket portion of the phone to keep people from swapping them...
2. Even if I could get an Afghani versiono of a sim card in place, it is ridiculously expensive *about 30-40cents per minute* to call home...

If it is possible, and honestly is the best possibility, I would be willing to follow any guidance to accomplish and exchange of sim cards, but that would be my last course of action unless it is the cheapest.

I was also thinking about whether it would be a possibility to purchase a router and attach it to my laptop during the day to have it send out a wireless signal *i would have to read up on it if it is even a possibility, but that may not be a bad idea..*

Do any of you have any guidance on this? Much thanks in advance...Deployment s.u.c.k.s for keeping in touch...