View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 PM
monkeyboy
PPCGeeks Regular

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Revive your Cell Phone or Electronic Devices from Water Damage

I've done the alcohol bit... it often works... the downside, besides having to find that much pure alcohol (I wouldn't use anything less than 90% EtOH) is that the alcohol is also a solvent and will dissolve a lot of inks, etc. It generally doesn't affect paint or plastics, unlike acetone which otherwise would be just as good or better. But it will remove labels, printed circuit board markings, etc. I don't understand the "residue" warning... there should be no residue as long as you are using lab grade 90% EtOH (the 10% is water). Now if you are using 180 proof Vodka or something...

Just yesterday my son ran his phone through the wash. Rather than try the alcohol trick, I simply removed the battery and then baked the phone in the toaster oven at VERY low setting, probably around 150-180deg F, for about 15 minutes. It worked!

But if the phone was doused with Coke or something like that, then I would definitely do the alcohol. For relatively clean water, baking (wrap the phone in a dry paper towel or similar) can also work...